Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Grapefruit Brûlée With Pomegranate Seeds


When I was a young girl, I traveled with my parents throughout the San Juan Islands in Washington State. One of the inns that we stayed at served grapefruit brulé. I had not been a fan of grapefruit up until that point in my life, but the combination of the tart and juicy grapefruit with the sweet and slightly burnt caramelized sugar immediately won me over. The memory of that incredible taste has been with me since. My desire to recreate it in my adult life has been dampened by my hesitation to douse a perfectly healthy grapefruit in refined sugar. Enter coconut sugar. This incredible natural sweetener, made from the nectar of coconut blossoms, is a delicious sugar alternative that caramelizes beautifully. The tart and crunchy addition of pomegranate seeds makes this dish a breakfast feast for the eyes and palate.

Serves 4
2 Grapefruits
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds


Cut the grapefruits in half. Trace the natural sections of the grapefruit with a knife to ease the eventual eating process. Sprinkle generously with coconut sugar and place in the oven under the broiler. Watch closely. Remove as soon as coconut sugar begins to bubble. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment